Canadian Universities for International Students – Requirements and Application Best Practices
Pursuing higher studies in Canada is a relatively good option among international students including Indian students as well. The reason for this is excellent education and an easier admission process at most of the colleges and universities located in Canada. The number of overseas applicants planning to study at Canadian universities for international students is increasing day by day. Even the country welcomes all international students in a more welcoming way. According to the IRCC reports, the total number of applications to study in Canada till August 2021 is more than 730,000.
So all the students planning to study in Canada must check this blog as we have provided all details related to universities in Canada for international students and information about the minimum admission requirements.
The Best Canada Universities for International Students
There are many educational institutions based in the country. Many of the universities are among the top institutions in the world. Students from varied parts of the world travel to the country to seek admission to undergraduate, graduate, and other study programs. The eligibility criteria requirements for Canada universities may vary but every university has its predefined eligibility criteria.
You can learn about the requirements for Canada universities at the time you plan to study abroad from the admission experts at Study Smart in India. Our experienced education abroad counsellors are available in the popular cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Surat, Pune, Ludhiana, and more.
Below are some of the most popular Canadian universities:
University of Toronto
The university is located in downtown Toronto. The University of Toronto (U of T) held its place as the most popular Canadian university for international students. Amid COVID-19, there was a decrease of 75% in new study permits issued as compared to the last year. But again in 2021, the total study permits issued to U of T students increased by almost 800% compared to the previous year. Studying at the university can be an ideal choice for students looking for high-quality education and safe environment.
University of British Columbia(UBC)
UBC has been listed as the second most popular and preferred Canadian university for international students. From 2020 to 2021, UBC witnessed an increase of 740% more study permits issued totaling 7,770+ international students. The university is known to facilitate modern amenities, excellent study environment, computer lab, superior infrastructure, security, dedicated student support, and more facilities to ensure students enjoy an unforgettable study experience.
McGill University is also among other universities in Canada for international students. McGill witnessed a strong rebound in 2021 after witnessing a 75% new study permit decline in 2020. Since 2020, McGill has shown a hike by more than 5X in study permits as compared to 2019.
University Canada West(UCW)
UCW is another university listed among the top five universities and is the most popular university among overseas students. The new study permits issued for UCW students last year were four times higher than the ones issued in 2019. The opportunity to study at the institution can be a good choice for you because of the many good reasons.
Earlier ranking as the 10th most popular Canadian university for international students, Concordia University jumped reached to the top by getting listed in top five universities. Concordia witnessed a 62% surge in new study permits issued from 2019 to 2021 and a 660% surge from 2020 to 2021. Choosing to study at the university can be a good choice for you. Students can explore the popular Undergraduate programs, over 200 Graduate programs, and other courses for a promising career.
Study in Canada: The Top Institutions/Colleges for Indian Students
Let us learn about a few more institutions in the country engaged in offering top-quality education also to international students. The number of applicants applying to seek admission is more than the vacant seats. So, Study Smart advices students to commence the application process to study in countries like Canada well in advance.
Some of the leading universities in Canada for international students offering admission to international students are as follows:
Avg. Annual Fees in INR
|University of Toronto||34.55 lakhs|
|University of British Columbia||27.90 lakhs|
|McGill University||9.96 lakhs|
|McMasters University||17.80 lakhs|
|University of Montreal||14.50 lakhs|
|University of Alberta||14.70 lakhs|
|University of Ottawa||29.90 lakhs|
|University of Calgary||10.10 lakhs|
|University of Waterloo||20.90 lakhs|
|Western University||18.00 lakhs|
|Queen’s University||12.00 lakhs|
|Calgary University||12.09 lakhs|
|University of Ottawa||13.14 lakhs|
|Dalhousie University||11.40 lakhs|
|Simon Fraser University||16.01 lakhs|
|University of Victoria||13.58 lakhs|
The Top Courses in Canada to Choose for Study
Cost in INR
|BBA in Canada||University of Toronto, Dalhousie University, etc.||18-22 lakh|
|B.Tech||University of Toronto, University of Calgary, UBC||6-28 lakhs|
|MBA in Canada||University of Toronto, UWO, McGill University,||11-59 lakhs|
|MS in Data Science||UBC, Ryerson University, University of Toronto||12 lakhs|
|MS in Business Analytics||UBC, York University, University of Alberta||14-35 lakhs|
|Masters in Computer Science||University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, UBC||10 – 60 lakhs|
|Masters in Civil Engineering||UBC, University of Toronto, University of Waterloo||14-20 lakhs|
|PG Diploma Courses||Centennial College, Algonquin College, Fleming College, etc.||7-15 lakhs|
About Deadline to Apply for Admission
Application timeline of pursuing higher education in universities in Canada for international students is as follows:
|September/October||Fill online application form|
|January/February||Submit all the required documents|
|March-May||Students normally get response in these months.|
|May – July||Apply for and obtain a student visa to Canada|
|September||Orientation session, the program commences|
Study in Canada with IELTS
The minimum IELTS score requirements to study in universities in Canada for international students are mentioned below:
|University of Toronto||6.5|
|University of British Columbia||6.5|
|University of Alberta||6.5|
|University of Calgary||6.5|
|University of Ottawa||6.5|
|University of Saskatchewan||6.5|
Common Admission Requirements to Study in Canada
Each of the universities in Canada for international students has their own criteria for studying in Canada for different programs. The below list includes a few of the common documents with personal information and academic ability.
The minimum common documents required to submit include:
- School leaving certificate (for UG course)
- Bachelor’s degree certificate (for PG programs)
- Proof of language proficiency
- Scanned copy of passport
- SOP for Canada
- Letter of recommendation (if required)
- Resume of CV (if needed)
- Other applicable certificates of merits.
Master’s Degree in Canada: Minimum requirements for Canada universities
The minimum requirement to pursue a master’s degree in Canada for international students varies from each college to college. Also, it takes 1 to 2 years to complete.
The minimum requirement to study masters in Canada includes:
- Few Master’s degree, like Business and Management additionally demand 1-3 years full-time work experience
- 4 years bachelor’s degree, 70% average
- GRE score must be anywhere between 300 and 320.
- The minimumGMAT score would be 550
- IELTS score: 6.5 overall with no bands lower than 6.
- Written samples/copies of published work or Portfolio (if any)
Bachelor’s Degree to Study in Canada: Minimum requirements for Canadian Universities
The duration of UG courses in Canada are three years, while on the other side, an undergraduate diploma’s duration varies from 6 months to 1 year, depending on the university to university.
The minimum eligibility to pursue a bachelor’s course from Canada universities for international students includes:
- The students must have obtained at least 70% in 12th grade to be qualified for further undergraduate study.
- The students must have passed the TOEFL exam with PBT. The minimum requirement varies as per the course type).
- Your computer-based test (CBT) minimum score must be between 237 to 250 min. (it differs as per the course type).
- The students 10+2 grade level Mathematics is a must to qualify you for further academic pursuit at the UG level.
PG Diploma Programs: Minimum Requirements for Canada universities
To get admission into a PG Diploma course in Canada, one does not have to meet the complex requirements.
Though students need to meet some important eligibility requirements for pursuing a PG Diploma in Canada out of which a few are mentioned below:
- A UG degree in a relevant subject with at least 65% or more aggregate marks.
- While pursuing courses like business administration, management, marketing, etc., a minimum of 2 years of work experience is needed.
- International students need to produce their IELTS/TOEFL scores. The minimum IELTS score must be 6.5; TOEFL: 550 (pBT), and 213 (cBT), 88 (iBT).
Documents needed for Taking Admission in Canada
The below-mentioned documents are needed by Canada universities for international students in Canada:
- The students are supposed to fill the application form and show their interest to study in Canada.
- The candidates must upload the attested copies of mark sheets and pass certificates.
- Also, they need to upload attested copies of all academic documents.
- 12 passport-sized photographs are needed at the time of admission to a Canadian university.
- Birth certificate
- Six passport size photos
- Health and travel insurance
- 10th and 12th passing certificate
- Valid passport with valid visa
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of finances
The Admission Process in Canada
Since there is no common application procedure for universities in Canada so students have to apply at the individual universities’ websites.
The common admission process to Canadian universities is as follows:
- First of all, decide the program and course university you want to study in.
- Post short listing your preferences, refer to the college/university website and check out the application process, deadlines, tuition fees, total seats, admission requirements, scholarship options, etc.
- Register on the official website and fill in the application form by submitting all the required details, then pay the application fee. Cross-check all the details before applying.
- Check out the scholarship options available in Canada and the minimum eligibility criteria to apply for the same.
- Post submitting all the documents, contact the university’s admission office, via email or phone.
- The next step is to apply for a study permit in Canada, in case you have received acceptance from the program.
Scholarships and Bursaries in Canada
Before exploring options in Canada, We highly recommend looking for Scholarships and Bursaries. Whereas scholarships are typically awarded based on Academic merit or a specific ability, bursaries are available for students who meet specific financial criteria.
The Canadian government offers a certain financial aid options for international students including Government of Canada International Scholarships and the Canada Student Loan program. Through the Government of Canada International Scholarships website, you’ll be able to explore many Scholarship awards that are currently being offered for study abroad programs and individual students.
Student Visa in Canada: Minimum Requirement
The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC) Canada issues the study permit to the international student to study in Canada for a limited time.
The minimum requirements for Canada universities to get study permits include:
- Students must be registered at a designated learning institute (DLI).
- An eligible student must not have any criminal past and must not pose any kind of threat to the security of Canada. Students need to also offer a police certificate.
- Students must show to an immigration officer that they will leave Canada post the completion of the official duration of stay.
- Students must prove that they have sufficient funds to finance their studies in Canada and other living expenses in Canada.
- Students need to submit their valid medical certificates. (If any)
Why Study in Canada?
Selecting the best Canada universities for international students located at Canada can offer many advantages to the international students coming from the different parts of the world.
Some of the benefits of choosing Canadian universities for pursuing higher studies include:
- One of the most important reasons to study in Canada is the existence of many renowned colleges welcoming international students planning to pursue higher studies in the country.
- The country has a huge list of the best government and private colleges in the country from which one can pursue bachelor’s or master’s courses.
- The mode of language is English so international students don’t find any difficulty while understanding the course curriculum.
- There is no need to pay any kind of donation or capitation to get selection in the medical colleges located in Europe.
- The schools and colleges in Canada are well equipped with great infrastructure and technology and provide practical experience in a more professional way.
- The international students are motivated to take part in different social and cultural events that are arranged in the country.
- The graduates can explore huge growth opportunities post completing their course. Also, the candidates can do internships and renowned institutions or organizations that will help them in learning new things.
So give vision to your dreams by pursuing higher studies from an internationally recognized university. Canada universities for international students help earn a global degree and a career of your choice. Study Smart Overseas Education is the one-stop destination for the complete admission abroad solution. Contact our expert counsellors today for more information on Canadian universities for international students – requirements and application best practices.