University of the week – University of Limerick, Ireland
About University of Limerick
The University of Limerick (UL) is a higher education institution in Limerick, Ireland. Founded in 1972 as the National Institute for Higher Education, Limerick, it became a university in 1989. It was the first university established since Irish independence in 1922.
The University of Limerick is an independent, internationally focused university with over 11,600 students and 1,300 staff. It is a young, energetic and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and excellence in research and scholarship. Its mission is to promote and advance learning and knowledge through teaching, research and scholarship in an environment which encourages innovation and expression. Particular attention is paid to the generation of knowledge which is relevant to the needs of Ireland’s continuing socio-economic development.
Campus & Campus Life
The UL campus is truly one of the most beautiful university campuses anywhere in the world. Visitors never fail to be impressed by this peaceful green place with its trees, its fountains and the beautiful river Shannon flowing majestically through it all. University is situated on a superb riverside campus of over 133 hectares with the River Shannon as a unifying focal point. Outstanding recreational, cultural and sporting facilities further enhance this exceptional learning and working environment. The University of Limerick campus is located 5km from Limerick City and 20km from Shannon International Airport. In spring, UL is a symphony of birdsong, while in autumn, it is a celebration of color. When you live on campus at the University of Limerick, you will have a great choice of restaurants/cafés within walking distance of the residences. The university offers a wide choice of venues offering high-quality home-cooked food at budget-conscious prices in a variety of small restaurants, stylish cafés and bar/restaurants which serve food late into the evening. Tuesday is Market Day on campus at the University of Limerick. Local producers gather in the Student Centre Courtyard offering an array of local produce.
The University of Limerick has established its research distinctiveness through promoting research spirit characterized by the convergence of discrete disciplines working together to achieve fundamental breakthroughs. The following priority areas have been identified:
- Materials and Surface Science
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Bio-engineering and Bio-sciences
- Energy and Sustainable Environment
- Applied Mathematics
- Study of Knowledge in Society
- Thomas Barr, Irish Olympian, who placed 4th in the 400 meters hurdles at the 2016 Olympics
- Tamar Beruchashvili, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Georgia
- Brendan Bugler, Clare hurler, Two-time All-Star
- David Burke, Galway hurler, 2017 All-Ireland winning captain, Four-time All-Star
- Jean Butler, co-choreographer and dancer in Riverdance and former artist-in-residence at UL’s Irish World Academy
- Duncan Casey, a rugby player for Grenoble, formerly of Munster
- Mike Casey, Limerick hurler
- Patrick Cassidy, composer and Oscar 2015 nominee (long list) for his score of the film Calvary
- Fiona Coghlan, rugby player, 2013 Women’s Grand Slam and Six Nations Championship winning captain, 2013 Irish Sportswoman of the Year
- Martin Comerford, Kilkenny hurler, Four-time All-Star
How Study Smart can help you
When it comes to securing admission in one of the top institutes in Ireland, it is very important to have a team of skilled experts in studying in Ireland to guide you to make your study abroad dream a reality. Study Smart Overseas Education is one of the premier study abroad consultants for Ireland in Pune & Delhi. Our overseas education experts will always ensure that they only accurate information & guidance. We have strong alumni of students currently studying in Ireland & who have already studied in Ireland. An overseas education consultancy like Study Smart is all you need for help with your international college applications.